Our Approach to 21st Century Education
At IGNITE, we will:
- Provide an environment that holds the belief in your child’s capability first and foremost.
- Honour your child for their unique skills, passions, and interests.
- Challenge and empower your child to take the reins of their own learning journey.
- Enable your child to safely explore the world around them and how they can make a difference in it.
IGNITE uses state-of-the-art learning software, real-world projects, Socratic discussions, and a hero’s journey dialogue in a student-driven, multi-age learning studio.
We strive to create a safe and nurturing – but still challenging – environment where lifelong learning is encouraged and hidden strengths are discovered.
We promise through Socratic guiding and experiential learning to encourage each member of our community to:
- Begin a hero’s journey;
- Discover their precious gifts and a commitment to mastery;
- Become a curious, independent, life-long learner;
- Forge a strong character;
- Cherish the arts, the physical world, and the mysteries of life; and
- Treasure diversity.
OUR CORE BELIEFS
- We believe each child has a gift that can change the world in a profound way.
- We believe in a closely connected family of lifelong learners.
- We believe in learning to learn, learning to do, and learning to be.
- We believe clear thinking leads to good decisions, good decisions lead to the right habits, the right habits forge character, and character determines destiny.
OUR DESIGN PRINCIPLES
- Learner-driven environment.
- Inspiring and engaging experiences.
- Diverse and relationship-centred studios.
- Rigorous, relevant, and mastery-based outcomes.
The Hero’s Journey
At IGNITE, we use a hero’s journey framework to explore challenges, callings, and goals that learners may pursue.
A hero’s journey is often associated with the epic journeys of famous literary and movie characters – Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker, or Simba in The Lion King, for instance. However, the same basic hero’s journey exists for all of us in small and large pieces of our lives – the time you decided to improve your public speaking skills, when you overcame a difficult situation at work, when you launched your current business, or when we, at IGNITE, set out to change the education system one learner at a time.
The hero’s journey offers inspiration, motivation through the bumps in the road, and a common language for our learners at IGNITE.
Results of the Acton Approach to Learning
A love of learning
As one parent described: “Our daughter loves learning at Acton. She can’t wait to share her day the moment she jumps into the car. I’m so grateful to see a love for learning come back into her eyes.”
Above-average core academic skills
Over the 10 years of Acton Academy’s history, we’ve seen an average of 2.5 grade levels per year growth on the IOWA standardized test.
Agency and leadership
Acton students ask great questions, are curious about the world around them, and pursue a calling that will change the world.
Through family plans and the hero’s journey, Acton provides a structure that brings families closer together and creates unity and purpose.